Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Big Transition

The Big Transition for us was teaching Bennett how to sleep in his big boy bed.  Our sleeping arrangements were probably a lot different than mosts but it's what worked for us at the time.  Him sleeping in his bed upstairs has been a big adjustment but I think it's a much better situation for all 3 of us now! 

We co-slept with Bennett until he was 17 months old.  It had its benefits and I'm so glad we did it.  I nursed Bennett for 9 months, so co-sleeping with him made the night time feedings a lot easier.  I would just roll him right over, feed him and he was back to sleep before I could roll him back over.  :)  I miss those moments actually!  Then it got to be just a habit more than anything.  But while Bennett was teething, it was good to have him right there with me so I could comfort him through out the night when he woke up in pain.  It was exhausting to say the least, but beneficial more than anything.  I loved having him there with me and the transition has been kinda tough.  I still miss him occasionally but I have my video monitor so I can see him while he sleeps.

We started on a Friday night, cause we knew it was gonna be tough for a while.  Jason had been out of town the week prior and when he came back we decided now was the time.  He did pretty good to start out with I must say.  Even when he woke up at night, he didn't crawl out of bed like I thought he would do.  But he would cry, which is understandable because he was in a new place.  So, Jason and I would take turns going up there and comforting him back to sleep.  (I'm not a cry it out parent and probably never will be)  I wanted him to know we were still there even though we weren't sleeping in the same room.  Each week got better- the first week he would wake up 4 times a night some nights and now on a bad night he wakes up just once!  Most nights he sleeps wonderfully or he'll wake up and fuss for a minute but then lay back down and go right back to sleep!  Last night I didn't even hear a peep out of him, but found him UNDER his pillow this morning.  :) 

It's really great in the mornings.  I was having to be very careful when I would get ready for work, so I wouldn't wake him.  Sometimes it was toughh.  Now that he's upstairs, I can carry on how I want and even watch the news on TV while I get ready.  :)  It's been about a month now and he's done so well with the change.  I love him so much!

On a side note, we had pictures done last Saturday and I just wanted to share one picture that she's sent me already.  LOVE it!


My little boy is growing up right before my eyes!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment