Monday, July 29, 2013

1 Week Update

It really is hard to believe Leah is almost 1 week old and that everything with my pregnancy and her birth is complete!  We have been home for a few days now, trying to settle in to our new life as a family of 4.  Wow, family of 4- gotta get used to that!  :)

The first night home was really rough.  Bennett didn't sleep well, but that's nothing new.  I was up every couple of hours with Leah so I was exhausted and we were just trying to figure everything out.  I will say each night seems to get a bit easier.  My mind is getting used to the fact that I have to get up with a newborn every 2-3 hours again.  And my mom has been a huge help!  She stayed over the weekend and helped with cooking and cleaning and taking care of the babies.  I am so thankful for her and don't know how we would have managed without her.  She is a God send!!!

So, Bennett, how is he doing?  I think he's managing as good as he can.  He's 3 and his whole life has just been completely changed.  I haven't really been able to spend a lot of time with him because I'm tied up with nursing Leah around the clock, but Jason has been taking up a lot of time with him and keeping him busy.  I think he's doing well and in a couple of weeks he'll be transitioned to our new family.  He loves his sister, I know, but I'm sure he's having a hard time splitting Mommy and Daddy with her.  He'll go and get one of her toys and lay it in her bed and he even sang rock a bye baby to her yesterday, which completely melted my heart.  :)  He's going to be a great big brother, I just know it!

Leah is doing great!  She's a champion eater and picked up 3 ounces since leaving the hospital.  This is reassuring to Mommy, as I am nursing so it's hard to know if she's getting what she needs.  Breastfeeding has chosen to be yet another challenge this go round again, but it has already been 10 times easier with her than it was with Bennett, not that it was Bennett's fault- he showed us he was a champion eater after about 6 weeks.  :)  She latched on great right after her birth, but Mommy just has to get used to nursing again so we are on our way there!!  I had a hard day yesterday with it and wasn't sure it was going to work out, but with much prayer and constant support from a friend, today has been much better!!

Mommy is doing pretty good.  I've got to work through the guilt I feel for turning Bennett's life upside down right now, but I know that will get better with time.  And I miss my Bennett, I miss the time I had with just him and our routine we had, but I know that will get better with time as well.  I have 2 more weeks before I'm home alone with them both, so that scares me a little.  Hopefully by then I will be ready!  :)  Now we've got to find our little routine with the 3 of us once Daddy goes back to work.  I'm gonna be one busy Momma!  :)

We have certainly had our ups and downs this week, but life is good.  We are blessed with 2 wonderful children who are happy and healthy!  Couldn't ask for anything more than that!

Here are some pictures from her birth!

Getting started!!





We are ready to meet our Leah!!



My 2 wonderful delivery nurses!



Working through a contraction





She's here!!!




My favorite picture of the day- she is beautiful!


Daddy's little girl!





Relieved to have her here and healthy!





Pure love!











No comments:

Post a Comment